Area Separation Wall System Repairs
The 2-hour fire rated Area Separation Wall System was developed over 50 years ago as a way to
economically protect from fire two (2) separate units in apartments, townhomes, condominiums and
duplexes. At times during the installation of the ASW system, mistakes are made or damage occurs to this
assembly - and for that reason American Gypsum successfully performed a 2-hour full scale fire test per ASTM E119, with repairs to defects in this wall system.
On this page are nine (9) separate defects that were built into American Gypsum’s Area Separation Wall System, and how to successfully repair it in the field to ensure that the 2-hour fire rating is preserved.
NOTE - Only American Gypsum’s 1” Shaft Liner, 1” M-Bloc Shaft Liner and 1” M-Glass Shaft Liner panels are approved for use in these repairs (test report - WFCi 19046).
- Nails driven through Shaft Liner panels
- 1” hole through Shaft Liner panels
- Dent dings scrapes to face of Shaft Liner panels
- Missing or damages H Studs or C Runner Track
- Up to 6” penetration through Shaft Liner panels
- Removal and replacement of Shaft Liner panels
- Damage to face of Shaft Liner panels
- Corner damage to Shaft Liner panels
- Horizontal joint in Shaft Liner panels